Friday 15 November 2013

Practice Unit: Week 6

I felt refreshed after the tutorial last week and had some positive feedback from the group. I have carried on with collecting and creating visual research, working with different techniques and media to respond to my primary and secondary imagery:



I was a little worried that using various techniques and media will create took wide an angle on my prints- that I don't have a "signature" way of working. However, this imagery will be narrowed down when I get to the main visual stage and the collection and brand will make more sense. As well as forms of horses, I have also been mark making and working digitally to respond to the movement of the carousels:




These pieces above showing forms of the horses moving have kept my inspiration for the theme of creating prints showing carousels coming to life strong. 

In terms of context, I am still currently working towards a children's fashion outcome, for girls aged 0-10 (for now I'd like to keep my options open).
Dolce&Gabbana 
http://www.dolcegabbana.com/dg/child/

Monnalisa Floral Tulle Dress. Embroidered.
http://www.childrensalon.com/girls-floral-tulle-dress.html

Anthropologie & Kico Kids Head band.
http://www.pinterest.com/vicvickyvic/baby-children-goodies/

What I have picked up from all of these very different garments and prints, is the power of placement. At my current project stage I can only think about placement of motifs and prints however, it is the part of designing for children's wear that I enjoy the most- Which brings me to the last point of the week. We were informed this week of a live project headed by Nigel Hurlstone which involves an exhibition in Paris. Terms of which are that the work includes some sort of embroidery or appliqué. I have been planning on working in to my prints already with possibility of using the laser cutter at some stage. A limitation I have found with some of the live projects has been the briefs which don't relate to my work, but this live project sounds right for my current work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment