Wednesday 11 December 2013

Practice Unit Week 7:

I signed up for a tutorial with Alex Russell, because I felt he would be helpful with advice on my early digital print designs. It was mentioned that my designs so far were a little too "neat" and that I needed something additional to the motifs and drawings work I already had. 

My inspiration from Mary Poppins also includes the song, "A spoonful of sugar" song as well as the candy striped suits. Alex gave me the idea of perhaps sourcing colours from sweets, and also looking in old fashioned sweet shops to widen my scope for visual and conceptual research. 

I took this advice, and below and a few of the photographs I took in Mr Simms Old Sweet Shoppe in Manchester city centre as well as the sweet stands at the Manchester Christmas Markets. I asked to go behind the counter to get better photos:



I played around with the photos on Instagram, in an effort to start thinking about branding and online networking:
 Sherbet 

Mint Humbug


 I would like to use some of these photos in my designs, as perhaps backgrounds or motifs, so i can explore more the combination of real-life and cartoon. I am very pleased with how I feel about the project as it stands, especially after engaging in more visual research which has given me another boost.

No comments:

Post a Comment